Re: SIGPIPE thrown from an MDA or a stream socket error

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 11:36:44PM -0500, Brenda J. Butler wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 10:49:32PM +0200, Ian Balchin wrote:

> So, maybe there is a way to get fetchmail to download all the
> emails and just put them in a file (instead of handing them
> off to exim), on which you could run formail... well you've
> solved the problem another way, but this could have been another
> solution.

Well..... I dialed in again and got thrown off the same message, the
ISP had not nuked it.  I then ran

$ fetchmail -e 50 -v -v > message.ngo

wow!  ##### across the screen and a quick spy from mc showed the
file in creation. Here is what i find.

fetchmail: POP3< 1 6806    # that was the expected length :)
etc

reading message 1 of 322
lots of
About to rewrite ........
Rewritten version .......  etc (can i chop this as I will have no local
messages being single dialup user??)

THEN .....

(i wish that !@#$% mouse would cut and paste, come back Bill, all
is forgiven ;)  )

fetchmail: about to deliver with: /usr/bin/exim inksi
fetchmail: message 1 was not the expected length (6802 actual !=
6806 expected)
flushed
fetchmail: POP3> DELE 1
fetchmail: POP3< +OK message 1 deleted

and then on to succesfully load the next message

but worse..... ! there are lots of messages that are not the expected
length which were DELE'd. (No. 50 being one and which I spotted when
looking to see what it did at '-e 50'. (I can send you the file if
you want ;)   )

Did I get the 332 after all? I don't know. I will have check future
downloads. (I had deleted a few and _procmail_ had moved a few too.)

[ Brenda & Dman.. I get lots of duplicates from you. howcome? I have
set subscribe for the list, and this is supposed to set a
mail-followup-to header that prevents your MUA from sending copies
to the personal address of the list post concerned. Closer
inspection of some of dmans dupes makes me think they come via the
list, but then I am not skilled enough to decipher the headers]

At least we stayed connected.  I _think_ there is another thread
running where it was suggested that limiting the number of fetchmail
messages by -e would solve a similar (not the same necessarily) (but
cannot find it right now).

I have also set in .muttrc the index header to show me who is
sending the email (and not all from debian-list). Neat.

--
Ian Balchin
http://www.imaginet.co.za/fables