Re: SIGPIPE thrown from an MDA or a stream socket error

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 10:49:32PM +0200, Ian Balchin wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 07:06:13PM -0500, Brenda J. Butler wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 12:08:22AM +0200, Ian Balchin wrote:
> > > While using fetchmail all goes OK until reaching message 91 and then
> > >
> > > 'reading message No 91'
> > > SIGPIPE thrown from an MDA or a stream socket error
> > > fetchmail: socket error while fetching from (my isp)
> > > fetchmail: Query status=2 (SOCKET)
> > >
> > > and then it fetchmail terminates.

> Both yourself and dman suggested that i look in the exim log files.
> Why did you not say to look in the fetchmail log file?  Apart from
> the fact that this would seem the place to look, why did you not
> suggest that (that is, why _did_ you suggest the exim log)? What bit
> of knowledge am i missing here?

The fetchmail output above says "SIGPIPE thrown from an MDA ...":
fetchmail downloads the messages and immediately hands them
to exim (the MDA) and exim "delivers" them to your mail spool file.

It would appear that exim is nuked during the fetchmail
session, which causes fetchmail to immediately exit.

We know exim is your MDA because of your previous emails.

So, maybe there is a way to get fetchmail to download all the
emails and just put them in a file (instead of handing them
off to exim), on which you could run formail... well you've
solved the problem another way, but this could have been another
solution.

--
bjb@achilles.net
Welcome to the GNU age!   http://www.gnu.org