Re: SIGPIPE thrown from an MDA or a stream socket error

On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 07:06:13PM -0500, Brenda J. Butler wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 12:08:22AM +0200, Ian Balchin wrote:
> > While using fetchmail all goes OK until reaching message 91 and then
> >
> > 'reading message No 91'
> > SIGPIPE thrown from an MDA or a stream socket error
> > fetchmail: socket error while fetching from (my isp)
> > fetchmail: Query status=2 (SOCKET)
> >
> > and then it fetchmail terminates.
> >
> > Since each message up to 91 has been downloaded and deleted on the
> > host I do not understand how the same messages are downloaded on the
> > next attempt and the above process repeated as many times as i dial
> > in.
>
> The POP protocol does not allow for deleting messages off the
> server until all the messages have been downloaded.  That's
> what's nice about IMAP.

I don't think that is strictly so.  With Pegasus Mail (and I had
thought of doing this once the panic attack had passed)
I can download the headers only from my ISP,
and then at leisure mark them for collection or deletion which it will do when
I reconnect. At leisure means while I am offline, but while the
header screen is still up as it does not save this info for later
use (exit Pegasus and it is lost).

> So, you can either find out what's wrong with message 91
> and try to prevent the MDA from dying (check your
> exim logs, maybe exim will log something before dying),
> or ask your isp to delete message 91 out of your mail
> queue for you.

Both yourself and dman suggested that i look in the exim log files.
Why did you not say to look in the fetchmail log file?  Apart from
the fact that this would seem the place to look, why did you not
suggest that (that is, why _did_ you suggest the exim log)? What bit
of knowledge am i missing here?

> I trust my isp to get this kind of request right; you will
> have to make your own judgement about your isp.  I've
> only ever had to ask for this once (in three years).
>
> Or you can try to use IMAP protocol to see who message
> 91 is from, and optionally delete it off the server
> before another attempt to download everything.
> It looks like fetchmail can do IMAP; I've never used
> it for that so you'll have to figure it out on your own
> (or someone else can help).  From a quick glance at
> the manpage it looks like it handles IMAP protocol just
> like POP:  it downloads everything, except using IMAP
> protocol instead of POP.  So, not useful for what you
> want to do.  You need to find an IMAP client that
> can allow you to download headers only, and upload
> a delete command for message 91.  Then you can download
> everything using POP (or IMAP) using fetchmail as usual.
>
> This assumes it is the body of message 91 that is
> killing your MDA, and not the header.  If the header
> is inedible to your MDA, I think your only recourse
> is to get your isp to nuke it.
>

> It looks like fetchmail has a "fetchlimit"
> option that might download (say) 10 messages
> per connect, and delete them off the server.
> Then connect again and get 10 more....
> Or you can be bold and ask for 90.
> Check the man page for fetchmail.

the -e option looks useful

> Gotta go... good luck.

Haven't been to gym since before Xmas, have to go too or I will not be
up early to get back into the routine.

--
Ian Balchin
http://www.imaginet.co.za/fables