Re: SIGPIPE thrown from an MDA or a stream socket error

On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 09:55:44PM +0200, Ian Balchin wrote:
[quoted out of order, FYI]

To answer the easy question first :

| [ Brenda & Dman.. I get lots of duplicates from you. howcome? I have
| set subscribe for the list, and this is supposed to set a
| mail-followup-to header that prevents your MUA from sending copies
| to the personal address of the list post concerned. Closer
| inspection of some of dmans dupes makes me think they come via the
| list, but then I am not skilled enough to decipher the headers]

I take a look at your headers and I see this :

so you're getting a duplicate because you asked for it.  (I manually
took out the Cc for this message)  Now the question becomes "why did I
ask for a duplicate I don't want?".

How do you set your return address?  (ie the From: field)  Can you
post your .muttrc?  Here's the settings I have that I think are
relevant

set from=dsh8290@rit.edu
set alternates = ".*dsh8290@.*rit\.edu.*"
subscribe debian-user@lists.debian.org

Did you set "subscribe" or "lists" for debian user?  If the latter,
then that is your problem.

| (i wish that !@#$% mouse would cut and paste, come back Bill, all
| is forgiven ;)  )

It works for me.  I have a 3 button mouse though.  Does anyone know if
gpm can emulate 3 buttons like X can?

| fetchmail: POP3< 1 6806    # that was the expected length :)
[...]
| fetchmail: about to deliver with: /usr/bin/exim inksi

Good, you're using a pipe instead of an SMTP connection.  I think that
is the better method.

| fetchmail: message 1 was not the expected length (6802 actual != 6806 expected)
| flushed
| fetchmail: POP3> DELE 1
| fetchmail: POP3< +OK message 1 deleted
|
| and then on to succesfully load the next message

I think it worked then.  Did you get the message?  THat length
difference is just a warning, not an error, I think.  Also the
difference being only 4 bytes is quite trivial.  Perhaps four CRLF
combos were stripped to LF.

| I have also set in .muttrc the index header to show me who is
| sending the email (and not all from debian-list). Neat.

FYI here's the index_format I like (all list mail is delivered to
~/Mail/lists/<list-ident>) :

# sorting for inbox
folder-hook "!" 'set sort=date-received'

# sorting for lists
folder-hook lists.* 'set sort=threads sort_aux=date'
folder-hook lists.* 'set index_format="%3C %Z %[%b%d] %-17.17n(%?M?#%3M&%4c?) %s"'

folder-hook Sent 'set index_format="%3C %Z %[!%b%d] %-17.17F(%?M?#%3M&%4c?) %s"'

One difference is that the message size is shown in bytes instead of
lines.  Also if a thread is collapsed it shows "#  n", where n is the
number of hidden messages, instead of the size of the first message.

-D

--

Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair
and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes.  Instead, it should be