Re: Erratic mouse

Thus spake Nori Heikkinen (nori@sccs.swarthmore.edu):

> so i think this is all basically correct, but i'm not sure how to go
> about varying these options without going through dpkg-reconfigure
> xserver-xfree86 again, which i don't want to do, since everything else
> seems to be working correctly.  as X is kind of useless without the
> mouse, does anyone have any ideas?  i've been googling on this, and
> can't find anything except to just keep going through the xf86config
> again, and i don't feel like re-specifying everything, and possibly
> screwing up the options that i currently have right.  manually editing
> XF86Config is an idea, i suppose, except i don't know what to do with
> it.
>
> any ideas?  tia,

Edit it by hand. Look for:
Section "InputDevice"
and change the line:
Option	"Protocol" "Foo"
Option	"Protocol" "ImPS/2" or even "ExplorerPS/2"
and I would recommend changing the line:
Option	"Device"	"/dev/gpmdata"
to:
Option	"Device"	"/dev/psaux"
as Martin suggested, with or without killing gpm. I had this
problems w/o even having gpm installed.
Oh, and emulate 3 buttons you shouldn't need. I don't know if it's
causing problems, but you *have* a third button: the wheel.

BTW, what rat do you use? And what window manager? Not that the wm
make much difference AFAIK, but I'm curios.

-Hsoj