Re: Erratic mouse

Thus spake martin f krafft (madduck@madduck.net):
> i would be interested how other people configure their mice. it's always
> a pain i find. gpmdata doesn't always work, PS/2 doesn't always work,
> psaux doesn't always work. it's always a plain $5 PS/2 mouse that i use.
> disabling gpm with PS/2 on psaux usually fixes it...

Here is my mouse section from XF86Config-4:
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier  "Mouse0"
Driver      "mouse"
Option      "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
Option      "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option      "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
Option      "Buttons" "7"

I also have "pointer = 1 2 3 6 7 4 5" in my ~/.xmodmap. I use whatever
X is current in Woody.

This is the only way I could get my Intellimouse Explorer to work,
with apologies for using a M$ product. But it's so darn *good*. I
had the same erratic mouse problems forever and no one seemed to
have the answer. The gpm thing wasn't it for me, I'm guessing X just
didn't like my PS/2 rat. Noting would fix the crazy jumping (except
booting into FreeBSD, but the mouse didn't seem as functional there)
until the wonderworkers over at XFree introduced the ExplorerPS/2
protocol.

Now I have my wheel working in blackbox and KDE, aterm and Eterm,
Gentoo and others. I can paste with the wheel when I click with it.
AND I get events from the side buttons using xev. I just can't
figure out a way to bind those extra buttons and make them useful. I
really want the history forward/back off those buttons but I cannot
find any useful material anywhere.

--Hsoj