Re: X too big; login double; fetchmail kaputt

also sprach nori heikkinen <nori@sccs.swarthmore.edu> [2002.01.08.1954 +0100]:
> 1. X is huge.  it's about sixteen times the size it should be, and i
>    mean visually.  the reconfigure stuff moved it and all its files
>    from /usr/X11/ (i think that's what it was) to /usr/X11R6, and now
>    it's waaaaaaaaaay too big.

what is way too big? the fonts and icons? that means your screen
resolution got messed with. oh turkey...

> 2. when i login to my own machine via ssh, i get the login message
>    twice.  i didn't know where it is to begin with, and i'm not sure
>    why it's doubled now.  i'm using zsh.

it's the new ssh. make sure you have the following two lines uncommented
in /etc/ssh/sshd_config

PrintMotd no
PrintLastLog no

> 3. the biggest problem is that fetchmail won't fetch.  i try
>    fetchmailing, and it says there's already a fetchmail running.  so
>    i kill it, because it wasn't doing anything.  the ~/.fetchmailrc,
>    as far as i can see, is the same as usual:

run

  fetchmail -qf ~/.fetchmailrc

and report the output.

> 4. (okay, i know i only listed 3) ...
>    problems in my .muttrc file, when it starts up.  it has problems
>    both in the ~/.mutt/rc.pgp and in /etc/Muttrc (which i've never
>    seen before ...) with the line having to do with:

(~/.mutt/rc.pgp was my way to breaking the .muttrc up into smaller bits.
so *everything* concerning mutt lives in ~/.mutt, and ~/.muttrc is a
symlink to ~/.mutt/rc)

>      set pgp_sign_micalg=pgp-sha1 #Default for DSS keys
>
>    (that's from /etc/Muttrc; the ~/.mutt/rc.pgp has the same line
>    except without the comment -- so, in effect, the same line.)

it's in Muttrc? mh. comment the line in rc.pgp, it's an old option that
isn't supported by mutt no more. and you must have somehow prevented
dpkg from replacing /etc/Muttrc. just comment it there too for now, i'll
send you the right one privately.

"when I was a boy I was told
 that anybody could become president.
 now i'm beginning to believe it."