Re: X too big; login double; fetchmail kaputt

on Wed, 09 Jan 2002 12:58:29AM +0100, marTin insinuated:
> also sprach nori heikkinen <nori@sccs.swarthmore.edu> [2002.01.08.1954 +0100]:
> > 1. X is huge.  it's about sixteen times the size it should be, and i
> >    mean visually.  the reconfigure stuff moved it and all its files
> >    from /usr/X11/ (i think that's what it was) to /usr/X11R6, and now
> >    it's waaaaaaaaaay too big.
>
> what is way too big? the fonts and icons? that means your screen
> resolution got messed with. oh turkey...

yes, it obviously did.  not just the fonts and icons -- it's as if i'm
seeing the entire screen blown up about 50x, but because it's so big,
all my screen can display is the upper-leftmost corner of it.  the
little icons in the corner or the screen, which are usually about 75px
big, are now about 200 or 250px.  each.

> > 2. when i login to my own machine via ssh, i get the login message
> >    twice.  i didn't know where it is to begin with, and i'm not sure
> >    why it's doubled now.  i'm using zsh.
>
> it's the new ssh. make sure you have the following two lines uncommented
> in /etc/ssh/sshd_config
>
> PrintMotd no
> PrintLastLog no

commented out.  didn't do anything.

> run
>
>   fetchmail -qf ~/.fetchmailrc
>
> and report the output.

(i'm typing here, there's no cut-and-paste, so only a little:)

orange:~> fetchmail -qf ~/.fetchmailrc
fetchmail: foreground fetchmail at 12515 killed.
104 messages for nori at sccs.swarthmore.edu (370945 octets)
reading messages for nori@sccs.swarthmore.edu:1 0f 104 (2704 octets)
..fetchmail: SMTP connect to localhost failed
fetchmail: can't raise the listener; falling back to
/usr/sbin/sendmail %Tsendmail: fatal: /etc/postfix/main.cf, line 94:
whitespace in attribute name: "reject_non_fqdn_hostname,
reject_unauth_pipelining, reject_map_rbl"

... and then i killed it, because i ran it before and just watched it
for a while, until i realized it wasprobably eating my spool.  there
were 184 messages when i ran it the first time, now there are 104.  oh
well, this is what i'm saving a backup of my messages on sccs for :)

> it's in Muttrc? mh. comment the line in rc.pgp, it's an old option
> that isn't supported by mutt no more. and you must have somehow
> prevented dpkg from replacing /etc/Muttrc. just comment it there too
> for now, i'll send you the right one privately.

commented out.  that error's disappeared.  another one that i forgot
to mention before is this one:

Error in /home/nori/.muttrc, line 877: in_reply_to: unknown variable

line 877 of ~/.muttrc reads:

set in_reply_to = "at %d, %a insinuated:"

i checked this against the manpage, and the %d and %a both should
work. ...?

i'm thinking also, btw, that manpages have also been affected by this
change -- every time i load a manpage it tells me

(null:) can't set locale; make sure $LC_* and $LANG are correct.

and i noticed something in the dselect menus about reconfiguring or
moving manpages or something ...
          _
  \/\
     |   |