Re: potato on 486

dman wrote:

On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 04:06:21PM -0700, Paul Scott wrote:
| Osamu Aoki wrote:
| | > On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 03:37:29PM -0700, Paul Scott wrote: | > | >>That's exactly the case. The W98 bootdisk has lots of CDROM drivers. | >>The Caldera Lisa even recognized it but I didn't know to get to a shell | >>to install. Am I really stupid?? I could have just switched virtual | >>terminals!!?
| >>
| > ALT-F2
| | | I knew that. That's why I mentioned stupidity. Actually I've been | using MS stuff for a long time and not thinking Linux automatically | enough yet. When I used Unix thiry years ago I didn't know about | virtual terminals.

Actually, that's linux kernel specific.  Sun Solaris boxes sorely lack
that.  (Hence applications like 'screen' that I have yet to try)

Interesting!

| > I think if you are thinking installing Linux, you must be using this on
| > LAN environment. | | Actually this machine is going to disabled friend and does not currently | have a NIC. I was thinking about that and haven't quite learned exactly | how to do that even though I believe I am close. | | > If so network install is alternative. Just 2 floppies
| > is all you need.
| | What's the best reference you know for that?

Get the rescue and root disks (I use idepci for net installs).  Boot
it.  Specify network config (dhcp, static, whatever).  Point to
debian.org for downloads.

Actually I still haven't been able to connect to my ISP from Linux.

It is really quite simple.  Simpler, even, than getting an old CDROM
to boot.
The other easy alternative is to pull the harddrive, put it in a new
machine, install, put it back.  I did this on the 486 I installed on
(didn't have fast network for that one either).

That's probably the easiest for now. I still will have to deal with that CDROM after the install.

Actually the Caldera diskettes turn out to have a whole bunch of CDROM drivers. I haven't found one that works yet. But we'll see.

Thanks,

Paul