Re: potato on 486

On Fri, Oct 12, 2001 at 12:52:01AM -0700, Paul Scott wrote:
| dman wrote:
| > On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 04:06:21PM -0700, Paul Scott wrote:
| > | Osamu Aoki wrote:
[...]
> [...]
| > |
| > | What's the best reference you know for that?
| >
| > Get the rescue and root disks (I use idepci for net installs).  Boot
| > it.  Specify network config (dhcp, static, whatever).  Point to
| > debian.org for downloads.
|
| Actually I still haven't been able to connect to my ISP from Linux.

What ISP?  What sort of connection - dial-up, dsl cable?

| > It is really quite simple.  Simpler, even, than getting an old
| > CDROM to boot.
| >
| > The other easy alternative is to pull the harddrive, put it in a
| > new machine, install, put it back.  I did this on the 486 I
| > installed on (didn't have fast network for that one either).
|

| That's probably the easiest for now.  I still will have to deal with
| that CDROM after the install.

Dealing with odd hardware is easier after a complete system is
installed.  The installer portion is quite a bare-minimum (sometimes
less) system so that it actually fits on the floppy.

| Actually the Caldera diskettes turn out to have a whole bunch of CDROM
| drivers.  I haven't found one that works yet.  But we'll see.

Is caldera debian-based?  If so it might not be so bad to start with
their installer but redirect it to a plain debian system.

-D