Re: potato on 486

Osamu Aoki wrote:

On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 03:37:29PM -0700, Paul Scott wrote:

That's exactly the case. The W98 bootdisk has lots of CDROM drivers. The Caldera Lisa even recognized it but I didn't know to get to a shell to install. Am I really stupid?? I could have just switched virtual terminals!!?

ALT-F2

I knew that. That's why I mentioned stupidity. Actually I've been using MS stuff for a long time and not thinking Linux automatically enough yet. When I used Unix thiry years ago I didn't know about virtual terminals.

Anyway, if you ave one of the old CD-ROM like original SB16 cards, you
may need to specify so many things.

I think I have the CDROM identified and I think I have what I need on the Caldera boot disk but I should be able to find it on the net otherwise. I'm trying to put together a good boot disk tool kit for these situations. Do you know of any probes for CDROM's?

I think if you are thinking installing Linux, you must be using this on
LAN environment.

Actually this machine is going to disabled friend and does not currently have a NIC. I was thinking about that and haven't quite learned exactly how to do that even though I believe I am close.

If so network install is alternative.  Just 2 floppies
is all you need.

What's the best reference you know for that?

Thanks,

Paul