Re: screen rocks (was Re: potato on 486)

* Brian May (bam@debian.org) [011014 01:03]:

>     Karsten>     $ man screen $ screen -x <session>
>
> Ok, Thanks. I looked up "man screen", but couldn't find anything. -x
> seems to be what I was looking for.
>
> I am still not quite sure how you allow different unix users access to
> the screen though (see ACL commands in screen man page), as each user
> needs access to the socket (I think).  but screen will refuse to run
> unless the socket directory is only readable by the owner.

Screen's proper multiuser mode can only be used if screen is installed
setuid root. Weak, IMO. It does add a lot of functionality (like you
mentioned, ACLs), but doesn't seem worth it. So far, screen -x is enough
for me to do newbie walkthroughs and the like. You just have to share
your account with them temporarily, and don't get the advantage of
read-only access and stuff, but it's more convenient (easier setup, and
no setuid install).

good times,

--
Vineet                                   http://www.anti-dmca.org
Unauthorized use of this .sig may constitute violation of US law.