Re: potato on 486

on Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 09:34:18AM -0700, Paul Scott (waterhorse@ultrasw.com) wrote:
> Karsten M. Self wrote:
>
> > on Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 02:00:47AM -0700, Paul Scott (waterhorse@ultrasw.com) wrote:
> >
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>I have been trying to get Debian installed on a 486 that does not know
> >>how to boot from the CDROM.  I was able to get to the CD with a Windows
> >>98 startup diskette and execute boot.bat in the install directory.
> >>
> >>I got as far as the "Install Operating System Kernel and Modules"  I
> >>need to choose the installation medium.  The choices are first and
> >>second floppies or currently mounted filesystem.  If I choose currently
> >>mounted filesystem I need to give a directory.  I don't know what that
> >>is.  It is not /dev/hdc1.  I can execute a shell but I can't seem to
> >>mount anything which helps.
> >>

> > Are you trying to access the installation system on CDROM?  In this
> > case, it's the CDR, and it should be /dev/hdc.
>

> That gets me "no such file or directory".  /dev/hdc1 gets me "not a
> block device".

Sounds like you may have a nonstandard CDROM device.  Look at the CDROM
support options in the installer.  The CDROM support isn't necessary for
most modern systems, but may be required on an older one.

> >>Are there any tools available to that shell that will help me?
> >>

> > As usual, your executables are in /bin, /sbin, and possibly, /usr/bin
> > and /usr/sbin.
> >
> >     $ fdisk -l
> >
> > ...will list all available partitions.
>

> It seems like that was even a menu option.
>
> >  Your hard drive is likely /dev/hda.
>
> Yes and I also have another small hard drive /dev/hdb.
>

> > To mount a partition, make sure that /mnt exists, and create a mount
> > point underneath it:
> >
> >     $ mkdir /mnt/hd
> >     $ mount /dev/hda[1-16] /mnt/hd
> >
> > ...where 1-16 refers to the partition number you're mounting.  Note that
> > you can create (and mount) multiple partitions.
>
> I tried several mounts like that without the intelligent [1-16].  I may
> try again with that.

That's given to indicate a range.  You can only mount a single partition
at a time: /dev/hda1, /dev/hda2, /dev/hda3, etc.

> > I don't think this is what you're trying to do though.
>
> I am thinking I need a floppy system that has a driver for that CD.

Yes.

   Free Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA!  http://www.freesklyarov.org