Re: The Perfect Debian / Personal Computer

On Fri, Apr 27, 2001 at 09:20:02AM -0500, Keith G. Murphy wrote:
> To make sure I understand this, what you are telling me is that a
> response to a command is pulled off by the driver polling the card's
> buffer?
>
> But incoming data is "pushed" by the card, using an IRQ?
>
> It does make sense, now that I think about it.
>
> Wow, that's interesting.  I had no idea it worked like that.  I'm
> definitely going to try disabling PnP, if I can.
>
> Thanks for the input.  And thanks to Hall Stevenson as well.
To be more specific, the driver polls the UART's buffer every 30 seconds.

If the buffer isn't emptied by the driver, it will overflow, and you will
loose data.  Starting a connection creates enough data to cause an overflow
and that's why it fails.

If the driver is listening on the right IRQ, it will empty the buffer
because the card throws an IRQ whenever it gets data, and
in most cases, no data is lost.

Mike