Re: The Perfect Debian / Personal Computer

Mike Fedyk wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 11:16:29AM -0500, Keith G. Murphy wrote:
> >
> > You see, the modem actually does work in the sense that you can send
> > 'AT' strings to it and get 'OK''s back.
> >
> > It's just that it never can dial and make a connection successfully.  It
> > seems a more subtle problem than I would think you would have from an
> > PNP difficulty.
> >
> Actually, you will get a response if you have the wrong IRQ, because the
> Linux serial driver will poll the buffer every several seconds.
>
> The problem comes when there is more data than a simple at and response.
> The card lifts an IRQ line, but the driver doesn't respond to it because it
> is listening on another IRQ.
>
> This could definitely, be a PnP problem.

To make sure I understand this, what you are telling me is that a
response to a command is pulled off by the driver polling the card's
buffer?

But incoming data is "pushed" by the card, using an IRQ?

It does make sense, now that I think about it.

Wow, that's interesting.  I had no idea it worked like that.  I'm
definitely going to try disabling PnP, if I can.

Thanks for the input.  And thanks to Hall Stevenson as well.