Stalled modems, Re: The Perfect Debian / Personal Computer

" I have an internal USR modem that goofed up when I would dual-boot.
" Win95 would screw it up so that it would not work under Linux.  *No*
" initialization string would fix this; I had to power off the machine to
" properly reset it."

Quoting Keith G. Murphy (keithmur@mindspring.com):
> Hall Stevenson wrote:
> > Your problem sounds like a Plug-n-Play one.

> [...] I have my doubts.
>
> You see, the modem actually does work in the sense that you can send
> 'AT' strings to it and get 'OK''s back.
>
> It's just that it never can dial and make a connection successfully.  It
> seems a more subtle problem than I would think you would have from an
> PNP difficulty.

Yes, this problem is exactly why I prefer external modems. I power
them through a clockwork switch which cuts the power for 15mins at
four in the morning.

In my case, it's not windows that causes the problem (I don't use it),
but just being left on 24/7 for more than a few days. The symptoms are
the same - everything (AT, ATDT, etc.) gets to the modem and is
reflected back, but the modem never goes off-hook.

In some cases, the modem has just answered an incoming call but fails
to call back, other times I just decide I want to dial out and it
won't. And, yes, it's common to all my USR modems (3 x 33k, 1 x 56k).

Cheers,