Re: The Perfect Debian / Personal Computer

> > So far, it seems that everyone has suggested avoiding internal
> > modems and getting an external one. Why ?? If someone is
> > capable of building their own PC, I'd hope they're also capable
> > of reading the requirements of a modem they purchase.

> I have an internal USR modem that goofed up when I would dual-boot.
> Win95 would screw it up so that it would not work under Linux.  *No*
> initialization string would fix this; I had to power off the machine
> properly reset it.
>
> (Amazing how Windows will goof up both my modem *and* printer, such
that
> they won't work under Linux without a power-down).
<snip>
> Yes, it is a later modem than yours.  But the point is, "reading the
> requirements" would not have avoided this problem for me.

Not related... the "requirements" I'm referring to are the ones on the
box that say Windows 3.xx, 9x, NT, etc are required for the modem to
simply operate. Look for one that works in DOS and you should be okay.

Your problem sounds like a Plug-n-Play one. A similar problem occurs
with some network cards. Disable PnP on the card. Also, in your BIOS,
disable the "PnP Operating System" option if you have one. From what
I've read, that should read "Windows", not "PnP O/S".

> Fortunately, I now have DSL!  :-)

So do I. I was using Mandrake when I got it hooked up and later switched
to Debian. At this point, I've never had to use my modem with Debian yet
!

Hall