Re: The Perfect Debian / Personal Computer

> > Well i have given up on trying to configured Windows
> > / Linux together.  I can't get the hardware right
> > and don't feel like fucking with it anymore.  I
> > wanna build a computer just for linux-debian.  I
> > know what kinda motherboard and KMD processor i
> > wanna get but could someone please list what i
> > should use for a modem, sound card, video card that
> > will configure perfect and won't require much work
> > but installing it and configuring X Windows.  Thanks
> > to all those who respond!

> modem: doesn't matter really, just make sure it's
> external, and make sure that is isn't a winmodem.

So far, it seems that everyone has suggested avoiding internal modems
and getting an external one. Why ?? If someone is capable of building
their own PC, I'd hope they're also capable of reading the requirements
of a modem they purchase. I've used two or three different *internal*
modems with Linux with no problems. There are plenty out there that will
work just fine.

My current modem is a USR (pre-3Com days, I believe). It's a true v.90
modem, not "upgraded" from their 'X2" firmware. Most importantly, it
even has jumpers ! It does have PnP mode, and just so happens to ship
with the jumpers in that mode, but I always try and set my modems to (in
Dos-speak) Com2/IRQ3. I guess that's one benefit of an external. They
can't be PnP, can they ??

Regards
Hall