Re: Stalled modems, Re: The Perfect Debian / Personal Computer

> " I have an internal USR modem that goofed up when I would
> dual-boot.
> " Win95 would screw it up so that it would not work under
> Linux.
> "*No* initialization string would fix this; I had to power off the
> machine to " properly reset it."

I have an internal USR modem that had *no* problems with
dual-booting. Quite simply, it always worked.

I still say the original poster's problem is related to PnP. The
modem ships from the factory in PnP mode and when used with Windows
(and additionally if the BIOS is set for a PnP O/S), it will be
assigned whatever free IRQs and COM ports are available. A "soft"
boot, i.e. rebooting into Linux likely doesn't "reset" the modem and
it keeps these odd settings.

In my case, I disable PnP and use the jumpers to assign the modem to
COM2, IRQ3. Since that IRQ is the "normal" one for that COM port (or
TTYS1, I think), linux finds it just fine.

Regards
Hall