Re: What kernel module for "Sound Max Digital Audio"?

Kent West wrote:

> Andrea Vettorello wrote:

> Okay; I installed alsa-source. During the config phase it asked what
> card I wanted to build; I told it "intel8x0". Then I moved
> /usr/src/alsa-driver.tag.gz to /usr/local/src, and there untarred it,
> which created /usr/local/src/modules/alsa-driver and put the files in
> there.
>
> I then did an "export MODULE_LOC=/usr/local/src/modules" and did a "set"
> to verify I typed it correctly. I then did "make-kpkg modules_image".
>

> > At the end you should have a shiny new alsa modules package for your card ready to be installed.
>
> Where? I have a /lib/modules/2.4.2/misc which has a bunch of modules,
> but I expect, since the date-time stamp is three days old, that this is
> from my previous manual attempt at compiling/installing the modules.

Never mind; I just found a .deb in /usr/src. So I did a "dpkg -i
alsa....deb", which then apparently did some installing and then asked
if I wanted to start alsaconf. I answered "Y". It flashed a few console
messages (it seems I saw a "snd module not found", and then debconf came
up and asked me to select a card; I chose "0x31 Intel_810. . . ". I then
accepted all the defaults on the next few questions (Card_Identifier =
CARD_0, Max Playback frame size in kB = [blank], Max capture frame size
in kB = [blank], Max microphone frame size in kB = [blank]), then told
it "1 No_more_cards". It asked if I wanted to modify
/etc/alsa/modutils/0.5; I answered Yes. It flashed a "cannot create
regular file [something I couldn't read because it disappeared too
fast]", and then said "Okay, 1 card(s) configured." I clicked on OK, and
got this:

> Starting ALSA sound driver (version none):modprobe: Can't locate module snd
>  no devfs available (even though using the kernel with devfs).
> Setting the PCM volume to 100% and the Master output volume to 50%
> The ALSA sound driver was not detected in this system.
> Could not initialize the mixer, the card was probably
> not detected correctly.
> ALSA driver isn't running.
> Starting ALSA sound driver (version none):modprobe: Can't locate module snd
>  no devfs available (even though using the kernel with devfs).

So I ran through it again, this time with a "2> error.log" appended, and
this time putting in "100" on the three questions about frame size,etc.
Here's the contents of error.log:
> touch: creating `/etc/alsa/modutils/0.5': No such file or directory
> grep: /etc/alsa/modutils/0.5: No such file or directory
> modprobe: Can't locate module snd
> cat: /proc/asound/version: No such file or directory
> expr: syntax error
> modprobe: Can't locate module snd

Thanks for any help!

Kent