RE: Strange things happen when reading from

-> Check out the Epox website first ... and search the web with a
searchengine, i know it might take a long time

Very likely, it might be you have a serious IRQ conflict and/or some address
conflicts with some devices. Another possible problem is that the serial
port on you motherboard is not really standard and requires special
drivers/configuration. This, together with IRQ conflicts, can result in high
CPU usage and since the IDE controller also relies on CPU you might once
more get skr*wed. Must add that since AMD CPU mobo's are quite new
technology they should implement less CPU-intensive IDE Controllers.

Did you try removing anything that is not essential to the operation of your
machine and then try the same operations (thinking about disconnecting extra
cd-roms and removing PCI and ISA cards) ?

Did you verify for sure your drives are not set to cable select but
hardwired (jumpers) to be master or slave depending on their position ? Did
you connect your cable in an orderly fashion ? Make sure that the
termination (other end) is not at the primary controller's primary/secondary
device. Might sound awkward but could help.

Did you verify you BIOS settings to be 'nice', try booting with default bios
settings and try again. If all seems ok then, start turning on those juice
options wich speed up your systems operation.

You could consider upgrading your BIOS and also check out some
AMD/Athlon-Duron specific drivers. On M$ os's you HAVE to install AGP and
IDE drivers in order to get this type of system working fine.

There is also a known issue with, especially, older motherboards (lot older
then yours) and burning cd's, this has something to do with IDE controllers
and buffers wich would cause stuttering if the buffer isn't in sync. with
the drives etc. sometimes BIOS updates resolve such issues.

good luck,

Joris