Re: What kernel module for "Sound Max Digital Audio"?

Andrea Vettorello wrote:

Kent West wrote:

I just got blessed with a Gateway E-3400 933MHz PIII box; sweet machine.
I've recompiled a new 2.4.2 kernel and everything's working well except
for sound and vmware (I'll worry about vmware later).

The only info I've found so far on the sound, which is integrated, is
that it is "Sound Max Digital Audio"; Gateway's web site mentions that
it's SB compatible, but that kernel module didn't work (perhaps IRQ, etc
problem). Here's the results of "lspci":

westek:~# lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation: Unknown device 1130 (rev 02)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation: Unknown device 1131 (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82820 820 (Camino 2) Chipset PCI
(rev 02)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82820 820 (Camino 2) Chipset ISA
Bridge (ICH2) (rev 02)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82820 820 (Camino 2) Chipset
IDE U100 (rev 02)
00:1f.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82820 820 (Camino 2) Chipset
USB (Hub A) (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82820 820 (Camino 2) Chipset SMBus (rev 02)
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation: Unknown device
2445 (rev 02)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage 128 PF
02:0f.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905C-TX [Fast Etherlink]
(rev 78)

Anyone have any idea what I need to do to get my sound working? Thanks!

Don't know if  this will solve your problem, but looking in the alsa sources
(alsa-source_0.5.10b-6_all.deb) there is a driver for "Intel ICH (i8x0)
chipsets" and the 820 is mentioned, so try looking in the alsa pages (something
like www.alsa.org, don't remember the correct address, try google or freshmeat)
if your sound card is supported...

Andrea

Thanks for the response Andrea.

Not being familiar with ALSA, and getting a response from Gateway that the sound "card" is an "AC'97 soft audio using ADI 1881", I started doing a dogpile search for these numbers, which lead me to the ALSA web site (shouldda listened to Andrea in the first place). It said the 1881 uses the ALSA Intel8x0 driver (again, just as Andrea pointed out), so rather than playing with ALSA I just recompiled my 2.4.2 kernel with the Intel810 driver. I played around with that a while, and never could get any sound working, so gave up and returned to the ALSA site.

Having read the ALSA mini-HOWTO (which is getting somewhat outdated), I downloaded the ALSA driver, libs, and utils and followed the instructions to install all three of these things. Then I did a "modprobe snd-card-intel8x0". lsmod now shows the following:

snd-card-intel8x0       6992   0  (unused)
snd-pcm                49248   0  [snd-card-intel8x0]
snd-timer               9664   0  [snd-pcm]
snd-ac97-codec         18336   0  [snd-card-intel8x0]
snd 27696 1 [snd-card-intel8x0 snd-pcm snd-timer snd-ac97-codec]
vmnet                  17632   1
vmmon                  18672   0
3c59x                  22848   1
appletalk              17680   0
vfat                   10576   0  (unused)
fat                    30624   0  [vfat]
smbfs                  33744   0  (unused)

I then, as per the instructions, did a "amixer set PCM 100 unmute", which returned:

amixer: Unable to find simple control '',0: Success

When I tried the similar "amixer set Master 100 unmute", I also got:

amixer: Unable to find simple control '',0: Success

Here's the results of "amixer":

Simple mixer control 'Master',0
 Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
 Playback channels: Front Left Front Right
 Limits: Playback 0 - 63
 Front Left: Playback 0 [0%] [off]
 Front Right: Playback 0 [0%] [off]
Simple mixer control 'Master Mono',0
 Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
 Playback channels: Mono
 Limits: Playback 0 - 31
 Mono: Playback 0 [0%] [off]
Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
 Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
 Playback channels: Front Left Front Right
 Limits: Playback 0 - 31
 Front Left: Playback 0 [0%] [off]
 Front Right: Playback 0 [0%] [off]
Simple mixer control 'Line',0
Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-joined cswitch_exclusive
 Capture exclusive group: 0
 Playback channels: Front Left Front Right
 Capture channels: Front Left Front Right
 Limits: Playback 0 - 31
 Front Left: Playback 0 [0%] [off] Capture [off]
 Front Right: Playback 0 [0%] [off] Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'CD',0
Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-joined cswitch_exclusive
 Capture exclusive group: 0
 Playback channels: Front Left Front Right
 Capture channels: Front Left Front Right
 Limits: Playback 0 - 31
 Front Left: Playback 0 [0%] [off] Capture [off]
 Front Right: Playback 0 [0%] [off] Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Mic',0
Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-joined cswitch_exclusive
 Capture exclusive group: 0
 Playback channels: Mono
 Capture channels: Front Left Front Right
 Limits: Playback 0 - 15
 Front Left: Playback 0 [0%] [off] Capture [on]
 Front Right: Capture [on]
Simple mixer control 'Video',0
Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-joined cswitch_exclusive
 Capture exclusive group: 0
 Playback channels: Front Left Front Right
 Capture channels: Front Left Front Right
 Limits: Playback 0 - 31
 Front Left: Playback 0 [0%] [off] Capture [off]
 Front Right: Playback 0 [0%] [off] Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Phone',0
Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-joined cswitch_exclusive
 Capture exclusive group: 0
 Playback channels: Mono
 Capture channels: Front Left Front Right
 Limits: Playback 0 - 15
 Front Left: Playback 0 [0%] [off] Capture [off]
 Front Right: Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'PC Speaker',0
 Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
 Playback channels: Mono
 Limits: Playback 0 - 15
 Mono: Playback 0 [0%] [off]
Simple mixer control 'Aux',0
Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-joined cswitch_exclusive
 Capture exclusive group: 0
 Playback channels: Front Left Front Right
 Capture channels: Front Left Front Right
 Limits: Playback 0 - 31
 Front Left: Playback 0 [0%] [off] Capture [off]
 Front Right: Playback 0 [0%] [off] Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
 Capabilities: volume switch switch-joined
 Playback channels: Front Left Front Right
 Limits: 0 - 15
 Front Left: 0 [0%] [on] Capture
 Front Right: 0 [0%] [on] Capture
Simple mixer control '3D Control - Center',0
 Capabilities: volume
 Playback channels: Mono
 Limits: 0 - 15
 Mono: 0 [0%]
Simple mixer control '3D Control - Depth',0
 Capabilities: volume
 Playback channels: Mono
 Limits: 0 - 15
 Mono: 0 [0%]
Simple mixer control '3D Stereo Enhancement',0
 Capabilities: switch switch-joined
 Playback channels: Mono
 Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'ADC/DAC Loopback',0
 Capabilities: switch switch-joined
 Playback channels: Mono
 Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'Headphone',0
 Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
 Playback channels: Front Left Front Right
 Limits: Playback 0 - 31
 Front Left: Playback 0 [0%] [off]
 Front Right: Playback 0 [0%] [off]
Simple mixer control 'Mic Boost (+20dB)',0
 Capabilities: switch switch-joined
 Playback channels: Mono
 Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'Mix',0
 Capabilities: cswitch cswitch-joined cswitch_exclusive
 Capture exclusive group: 0
 Capture channels: Front Left Front Right
 Front Left: Capture [off]
 Front Right: Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Mono Mix',0
 Capabilities: cswitch cswitch-joined cswitch_exclusive
 Capture exclusive group: 0
 Capture channels: Front Left Front Right
 Front Left: Capture [off]
 Front Right: Capture [off]

I also ran .snddevices as per the instructions, which presumably created the /dev files needed (there is a /dev/snd directory now).

When I try to "splay" some sound file (.wav or .mp3), I get:

Cannot open /dev/dsp or /dev/sound/dsp!
splay: Failed to open sound device.

When I run "saytime", I get no sound and no errors.

When I try to cat (SomeSoundFile) >  /dev/dsp, I get

bash: /dev/dsp: No such device

Same for /dev/audio.

I am in the audio group.  I've also tried all this as root.

At one point I thought, "hey, maybe dselect has some ALSA stuff", so I wound up installing alsaconf and a couple of other things. The alsa modules there seemed old (what I downloaded and compiled was 0.9.0 beta2, which might be my problem). So now I've got a mix of official Debian packages and non-Debian self-compiled stuff. (Oh, did I mention I don't really know what I'm doing?)

When I run alsaconf, it looks like it's going to work, but the final message is:

Starting ALSA sound driver (version 0.9.0beta2): no sound cards defined.
Setting the PCM volume to 100% and the Master output volume to 50%
amixer: Mixer attach hw:0 error: No such file or directory
Could not initialize the mixer, the card was probably
not detected correctly.

and it removes most of the modules, so that lsmod returns:

Module                  Size  Used by
snd                    27696   0
vmnet                  17632   1
vmmon                  18672   0
3c59x                  22848   1
appletalk              17680   0
vfat                   10576   0  (unused)
fat                    30624   0  [vfat]
smbfs                  33744   0  (unused)

Sorry for the overload of info, but I wanted to be complete.

Can anyone give me any help here? Thanks!

Kent