Re: What kernel module for "Sound Max Digital Audio"?

Kent West wrote:

> Andrea Vettorello wrote:
>
> > Kent West wrote:
> >

> >> I just got blessed with a Gateway E-3400 933MHz PIII box; sweet machine.
> >> I've recompiled a new 2.4.2 kernel and everything's working well except
> >> for sound and vmware (I'll worry about vmware later).
> >>
> >> The only info I've found so far on the sound, which is integrated, is
> >> that it is "Sound Max Digital Audio"; Gateway's web site mentions that
> >> it's SB compatible, but that kernel module didn't work (perhaps IRQ, etc
> >> problem). Here's the results of "lspci":
> >>
> >> westek:~# lspci
> >> 00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation: Unknown device 1130 (rev 02)
> >> 00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation: Unknown device 1131 (rev 02)
> >> 00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82820 820 (Camino 2) Chipset PCI
> >> (rev 02)
> >> 00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82820 820 (Camino 2) Chipset ISA
> >> Bridge (ICH2) (rev 02)
> >> 00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82820 820 (Camino 2) Chipset
> >> IDE U100 (rev 02)
> >> 00:1f.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82820 820 (Camino 2) Chipset
> >> USB (Hub A) (rev 02)
> >> 00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82820 820 (Camino 2) Chipset SMBus (rev 02)
> >> 00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation: Unknown device
> >> 2445 (rev 02)
> >> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage 128 PF
> >> 02:0f.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905C-TX [Fast Etherlink]
> >> (rev 78)
> >>
> >> Anyone have any idea what I need to do to get my sound working? Thanks!
> >>

> > Don't know if  this will solve your problem, but looking in the alsa sources
> > (alsa-source_0.5.10b-6_all.deb) there is a driver for "Intel ICH (i8x0)
> > chipsets" and the 820 is mentioned, so try looking in the alsa pages (something
> > like www.alsa.org, don't remember the correct address, try google or freshmeat)
> > if your sound card is supported...
> >

> > Andrea
>
> Thanks for the response Andrea.
>
> Not being familiar with ALSA, and getting a response from Gateway that
> the sound "card" is an "AC'97 soft audio using  ADI 1881", I started
> doing a dogpile search for these numbers, which lead me to the ALSA web
> site (shouldda listened to Andrea in the first place). It said the 1881
> uses the ALSA Intel8x0 driver (again, just as Andrea pointed out), so
> rather than playing with ALSA I just recompiled my 2.4.2 kernel with the
> Intel810 driver. I played around with that a while, and never could get
> any sound working, so gave up and returned to the ALSA site.

I think that was related to AGP/GART...

> Having read the ALSA mini-HOWTO (which is getting somewhat outdated), I
> downloaded the ALSA driver, libs, and utils and followed the
> instructions to install all three of these things. Then I did a
> "modprobe snd-card-intel8x0". lsmod now shows the following:
>
> snd-card-intel8x0       6992   0  (unused)
> snd-pcm                49248   0  [snd-card-intel8x0]
> snd-timer               9664   0  [snd-pcm]
> snd-ac97-codec         18336   0  [snd-card-intel8x0]
> snd                    27696   1  [snd-card-intel8x0 snd-pcm snd-timer
> snd-ac97-codec]
> vmnet                  17632   1
> vmmon                  18672   0
> 3c59x                  22848   1
> appletalk              17680   0
> vfat                   10576   0  (unused)
> fat                    30624   0  [vfat]
> smbfs                  33744   0  (unused)
>
> I then, as per the instructions, did a "amixer set PCM 100 unmute",
> which returned:
>
> amixer: Unable to find simple control '',0: Success
>
> When I tried the similar "amixer set Master 100 unmute", I also got:
>
> amixer: Unable to find simple control '',0: Success
>
> [...]
>
> I also ran .snddevices as per the instructions, which presumably created
> the /dev files needed (there is a /dev/snd directory now).
>
> When I try to "splay" some sound file (.wav or .mp3), I get:
>
> Cannot open /dev/dsp or /dev/sound/dsp!
> splay: Failed to open sound device.
>
> When I run "saytime", I get no sound and no errors.
>
> When I try to cat (SomeSoundFile) >  /dev/dsp, I get
>
> bash: /dev/dsp: No such device
>
> Same for /dev/audio.
>
> I am in the audio group.  I've also tried all this as root.

I'm not sure, but if you need to use the /dev/dsp (correct me if i'm wrong), you
should add the OSS compatibility layer somewhere when requested by with alsaconf.

> At one point I thought, "hey, maybe dselect has some ALSA stuff", so I
> wound up installing alsaconf and a couple of other things. The alsa
> modules there seemed old (what I downloaded and compiled was 0.9.0
> beta2, which might be my problem). So now I've got a mix of official
> Debian packages and non-Debian self-compiled stuff. (Oh, did I mention I
> don't really know what I'm doing?)
>
> When I run alsaconf, it looks like it's going to work, but the final
> message is:

> Starting ALSA sound driver (version 0.9.0beta2): no sound cards defined.
> Setting the PCM volume to 100% and the Master output volume to 50%
> amixer: Mixer attach hw:0 error: No such file or directory
> Could not initialize the mixer, the card was probably
> not detected correctly.
>
> and it removes most of the modules, so that lsmod returns:
>
> Module                  Size  Used by
> snd                    27696   0
> vmnet                  17632   1
> vmmon                  18672   0
> 3c59x                  22848   1
> appletalk              17680   0
> vfat                   10576   0  (unused)
> fat                    30624   0  [vfat]
> smbfs                  33744   0  (unused)
>
> Sorry for the overload of info, but I wanted to be complete.
>
> Can anyone give me any help here? Thanks!

You don't say if you added in the /etc/modutils the requested aliases for your sound
card, mine where created quite correctly by alsaconf, but i remember well, in the
sound card definition the name of my sound card was missing. I attach my alias file
as example:

# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF verion 0.4.3b ---
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-card-via686a
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-slot-1 snd-mpu401-uart
options snd snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=1 snd_device_mode=0660 snd_device_gid=29
snd_device_uid=0
options snd-card-via686a snd_index=0 snd_id=CARD_0 snd_mpu_port=0x300
snd_joystick=0x300 snd_pbk_frame_size=128 snd_cap_frame_size=128
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

In the list of your loaded module, i haven't found a snd-mixer entry, try looking in
your syslog for some error, and as a last tip, look in /proc/asound to check the
card status...

Hope this could help

Andrea