From: D-Man [mailto:dsh8290@rit.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2001 6:50 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Printer recommendations

wrote:
| > I'm faced with recommending a new printer for my parents as their old
unit
| > is starting to show its age. The goal is to find something for $350 or
| > less which is Linux friendly since I'll also be using it. The printer
will
| > be connected to the LAN through an old HP JetDirect EX. Right now we're
| > looking more towards a laser but I'd also be interested in inkjet
| > recommendations as well.
| >

| My recommendation is for a laserjet.  Inkjets are slow, expensive to
| run, and tend to be maintenance-happy.
|
| I just purchased a used HPLJ4m for about $380.  The footprint's about
| twice what the HPDJ6xxC was, but it prints about ten times faster,
| literally, native postscript.  If you have the space, an HPLJIIIx is
| even less expensive, though I suspect you'll make up the difference on
| power bills if it's on all the time.  Ideal would be to rig up something
| to power on the printer automajikally when needed.  More modern LJs have
| a built-in powersave option, the IIIs and 4s I looked at did not.

I have an old LJIIIp printer.  It works quite well.  I don't know how
much they cost since I got this as a hand-me-down.  It prints 300 dpi,
4ppm.  Has PCL5 natively and a PS (Level 1) card with it.

A few years back the LJ6l was the "personal" laserjet model.  It had
PCL builtin, 600 dpi, 6 ppm.  I think it ran ~$400 new.  I think the
1100 series has replaced the 6l series now.

The Laserjet 5/6 M and friends did have a powersave feature with an
"instant-on" fuser.  Quite nice.  600 dpi, 8 ppm.  Toner is quite
cheap per-page and gives much better quality than inkjets for black.

I would highly recommend getting a laser jet printer.  I like them and
have seen them give good performance.  My particular model was
manufactured in '92 and is still chugging along quite well.  Models
with built-in postscript interpreters are the best since PS is quite a
standard format in *nix.  Windows drives can deal with it.  PCL
(version 5 at least) is supported and in my experience usually prints
faster.  I had it set up to use PCL by default on a RH system using
printtool.

-D