Re: anyone have a epson stylus photo 870 working?

On Sun, Mar 04, 2001 at 06:11:10PM -0900, Ethan Benson wrote:

> stat("/proc/bus/pci", {st_mode=S_IFDIR|0555, st_size=0, ...}) = 0
> open("/etc/vga/libvga.config", O_RDONLY) = 4
> fstat(4, {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=16082, ...}) = 0
> read(4, "# Configuration file for svgalib"..., 16082) = 16082
> close(4)                                = 0
> open("/plato/eb/.svgalibrc", O_RDONLY)  = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
> ioperm(0x3b4, 0x2c, 0x1)                = -1 EPERM (Operation not permitted)
> write(1, "svgalib: Cannot get I/O permissi"..., 37svgalib: Cannot get I/O permissions.
>
> it shouldn't even be messing with svgalib, its not needed for acting
> as a filter.

exactly -- at least that's what one would expect.
Normally gs should just load the svga shared lib, but not start reading
related config files, etc. However, the fact that in your case it does
proceed as if it wanted to init the svga driver, makes me guess that
there might be some problem with the device specification in the gs
command (that's why I asked for that exact command). In that case it
would be possible that gs falls back to the built-in default device
(x11 when in X, and that stupid svga thing when in console mode).

To clarify this further: what happens if you take the following
trivial PostScript fragment

%!PS
/Helvetica findfont 36 scalefont setfont
10 10 moveto (testpage) show
showpage

and for example run the following gs command

gs -sDEVICE=jpeg -sOutputFile=test.jpg -g150x50 -dBATCH test.ps

(assuming you saved the PS under test.ps, of course)

This should create a small jpeg file without messing around with
svgalib. When I run something like this under strace I don't see
anything like what you get above before it fails.
Does at least that work for you or do you get the same error?

Erdmut

--
Erdmut Pfeifer
science+computing gmbh

-- Bugs come in through open windows. Keep Windows shut! --