Re: anyone have a epson stylus photo 870 working?

On Sun, Mar 04, 2001 at 06:46:45AM -0900, Ethan Benson wrote:

> (...)
>
> i noticed, gs is simply broken, when run by lprng (or by anyone for
> that matter, it only works in X) all it does is spit out `svgalib:
> Cannot get I/O permissions.'  regardless of driver or anything i do
> this is all it does.  i have tried compiling it without svga support
> but that just makes it crash.
>
> (...)
>
> unfortunatly not, nobody has been able to tell me why gs does not
> function.  i think i may just return this thing and get a used Apple
> laserwriter off ebay, these are true postscript printers and won't
> need this filter crap.

maybe we can get that gs-thing solved somehow, before you throw away your
printer... ;)

Actually this gs problem made me curious, however, I was unable to
reproduce it here, probably due to a different setup.
Which exact gs command do you use when getting the error? Which version
of ghostscript? Have you tried it with a non-dummy installation of libsvga,
if so, did it fail too? How did gs crash when compiled without svga
support? Maybe you could also post an strace of the failing gs command
(or send it to me privately if you feel that is is too lengthy for the
list)?

Don't know whether I'll be able to help, but perhaps we could start
narrowing things down a little...

Erdmut

--
Erdmut Pfeifer
science+computing gmbh

-- Bugs come in through open windows. Keep Windows shut! --