Re: anyone have a epson stylus photo 870 working?

Ethan Benson wrote:

> see subject, all the documentation i have been following on
> linuxprinting.org involves ghostscript, which is broken on debian.
> (see my other mail, all it does when run by lpd is spit out "svgalib:
> Cannot get I/O permissions.")
>
> if anyone has gotten this or a similar model working on debian could
> you tell me what you did?  (i did not find anything useful in the list
> archives)

I've a stylus color 880 (mmh, i guess is not a similar model, this model is a
4 colors printer, the photo should be 6 colors), and have played with
pdq/xpdq and the linuxprinting stp driver (your printer is listed in the
supported printer of the stp driver).

The binary debian gs package don't have the stp driver compiled by default,
but is present in the sources. I've found some trouble compiling myself  the
package (needs small changes in the sources) but the printer is now working.

Anyway, the pdq driver created (a couple of weeks ago) with the linuxprinting
foomatic for the 880 is, at a first glance, incomplete: the only parameter
passed to gs is the printer model (correct me if i'm wrong), so the printer
is working only in 360 dpi. Passing manually the parameters to gs i was able
to print in higer resolution (1420x720), so it's only a matter to enhance the
pdq driver.

I'm not so skilled in bash scripting, but i've started to modify the pdq
driver myself...

Hope this could help.

Andrea