Re: anyone have a epson stylus photo 870 working?

On Sun, Mar 04, 2001 at 11:43:41AM +0100, Andrea Vettorello wrote:

> I've a stylus color 880 (mmh, i guess is not a similar model, this model is a
> 4 colors printer, the photo should be 6 colors), and have played with
> pdq/xpdq and the linuxprinting stp driver (your printer is listed in the
> supported printer of the stp driver).

well i need to use lprng since i need other networked machines to
access it as well.  pdq as i understand it is a daemonless localhost
only thing.

> The binary debian gs package don't have the stp driver compiled by default,
> but is present in the sources. I've found some trouble compiling myself  the
> package (needs small changes in the sources) but the printer is now working.

i noticed, gs is simply broken, when run by lprng (or by anyone for
that matter, it only works in X) all it does is spit out `svgalib:
Cannot get I/O permissions.'  regardless of driver or anything i do
this is all it does.  i have tried compiling it without svga support
but that just makes it crash.

> Anyway, the pdq driver created (a couple of weeks ago) with the linuxprinting
> foomatic for the 880 is, at a first glance, incomplete: the only parameter
> passed to gs is the printer model (correct me if i'm wrong), so the printer
> is working only in 360 dpi. Passing manually the parameters to gs i was able
> to print in higer resolution (1420x720), so it's only a matter to enhance the
> pdq driver.

all these drivers use gs, which is broken and unusable.

> I'm not so skilled in bash scripting, but i've started to modify the pdq
> driver myself...
>
> Hope this could help.

unfortunatly not, nobody has been able to tell me why gs does not
function.  i think i may just return this thing and get a used Apple
laserwriter off ebay, these are true postscript printers and won't
need this filter crap.

thanks anyway.

--
Ethan Benson