Re: dist upgrade

On Sun, Mar 04, 2001 at 03:41:34PM -0800, Raphael Crawford-Marks wrote:
> could someone give me or point me to step-by-step instructions on how to do
> a dist upgrade (potato to woody)?

(as root)

1) edit /etc/apt/sources.list, replacing "stable" with "testing" ("woody"
   will work for most mirrors too)

2) apt-get update (updates the package lists)

3) cross fingers (optional, but it seems to help ;) )

4) apt-get dist-upgrade (performs the upgrade)

The biggest gotcha seems to be with X - if you have a laptop or other
non-standard video card - be prepared to do some tweaking to get Xfree 4 up
and running (it's generally not too tough - running xf86config generally
does wonders as long as you know your hardware well).

-b3