Re: WYSIWYG editor (Prev. Rebooting is foolish)

William Leese wrote:

> On Monday 19 February 2001 16:45, Keith G. Murphy wrote:
>
> > Actually, I don't understand the part about "if i had a server".
> > If
> > you've got a Linux box, you can run Apache and any one of several DB's
> > on it, and test out your pages locally.
>
> replace that with "if i had a machine to spair".
>
> yes, you can test them locally. But because the website i maintain is not
> hosted by me but by an ISP.. theres no way to make a webpage that makes use
> of DBs. If it is possible to query a static DB that is on the ISPs homepage
> server from a normal html page (or anyother scripting language that does not
> require a server as backend to query DBs) do point me to it.

Obviously, I misunderstood your situation.

> I've already spent enough time searching for a simple solution for
> maintaining this site which has about 100 static pages, currently i use a few
> (crude and awfully simple) scripts to automate some of it.

If you're wanting to automate page generation using common templates,
databases, etc., I suggest Template Toolkit.  That gets rid of much of
the need for a WYSIWYG editor, because you just don't need to do as much
hand editing.  And the Perl integration is such that it's really easy to
use modules like DBI to draw your  data out of a database.

If you don't know or like Perl, I still suspect some kind of templating
system would help you.

Maybe I'm still not understanding, but it sounds like your ideal
situation is to create static pages drawing on a local DB, then publish
them to your ISP's site.  I do something quite similar, but from simple
text files.