Re: after 'su -', 'Can't open display'

To quote James Sinnamon <sinnamon@usq.edu.au>,
# My apologies for a question that should have been answered over and
over
# again on this

No problem at all :) But check the archives next time. Since you have a
specific string to seach for("Can't open display"), a search would
provide good results.

# When I start X Windows, using the KDE window manager, I change to root

X Window System. X11R6. X11. X Windows System. *Not* X Windows. For
trademark reasons :) Commonly just reffered to as "X". Also, KDE isn't a
window manager, it's a desktop environment. It has an application
launcher/panel, a file manager, desktop controls, and indeed it does
have a built-in window manager :)

# (with su - )
# for administrative tasks.  However I seem unable to run X window
# applications.

Try just using 'su', instead of 'su -'... It might fix your problem.

# Whatever X application  I try to run, I inevitably get a message
similar
# to "... unable to open display".
#
# Previously on other distributions of Linux, I have used, as root :
#
#     export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0
#
# and, prior to that,  as the normal user that started the X window
# session:
#
#     xhost localhost
#
# This somehow doesn;t work on Debian Linux (unstable distribution).

If just using 'su' doesn't work, and when you're in 'su', $DISPLAY is
set (if 'echo $DISPLAY' returns anything, it's likely set correctly),
you might need to run 'xhost +localhost' as the user who started the X
session. You'll have to do this before you try to run any X apps as
root, and it'll have to be done each time you log in and start KDE.

David Barclay Harris, Clan Barclay
    Aut agere, aut mori. (Either action, or death.)