Re: Bad exim configuration (was: fetchmail gives me headache)

Morten Liebach wrote:
> [...]
> _IS_ exim running and listening on port 25?
>
> If not, ``SMTP Transaction error'' would be the error message, since
> fetchmail speaks SMTP to exim on port 25 (fetchmail says ``Hi, I've got
> mail for you'', and exim says nothing, so fetchmail times out and tell
> you ``SMTP Transaction error'').
>
> Look in /etc/inetd.conf for a line that starts with ``smtp'', what does
> it say?

There is no such line.
This is how my inetd.conf looks like:

discard stream tcp nowait root       internal
discard dgram  udp wait   root       internal
daytime stream tcp nowait root       internal
daytime dgram  udp wait   root       internal
time    stream tcp nowait root       internal
time    dgram  udp wait   root       internal
ftp     stream tcp nowait root       /usr/sbin/tcpd   /usr/sbin/in.ftpd
telnet  stream tcp nowait root       /usr/sbin/tcpd
/usr/sbin/in.telnetd
shell   stream tcp nowait root       /usr/sbin/tcpd   /usr/sbin/in.rshd
login   stream tcp nowait root       /usr/sbin/tcpd
/usr/sbin/in.rlogind
exec    stream tcp nowait root       /usr/sbin/tcpd
/usr/sbin/in.rexecd
talk    dgram  udp wait   nobody.tty /usr/sbin/tcpd   /usr/sbin/in.talkd
ntalk   dgram  udp wait   nobody.tty /usr/sbin/tcpd
/usr/sbin/in.ntalkd
finger  stream tcp nowait nobody     /usr/sbin/tcpd
/usr/sbin/in.fingerd
ident   stream tcp nowait nobody     /usr/sbin/identd identd -i

> Try a portscanner too (nmap f.ex., do a `nmap localhost', look for this
> line:   25      open        tcp        smtp )

There isn't such a line either.
This is the output of nmap in my case:

  9 tcp discard
 13 tcp daytime
 21 tcp ftp
 23 tcp telnet
 37 tcp time
 79 tcp finger
111 tcp sunrpc
113 tcp auth
512 tcp exec
513 tcp login
514 tcp shell
515 tcp printer

> If exim isn't listenig, that's the real problem, not fetchmail.

You were right! I never would have found it out by myself.
So it seems that I have to reconfigure inetd.conf as well. Do you know
how I can manage this?
Or maybe it is just that I gave the wrong answers to eximconfig...
Next comes a list of eximconfig's questions and my answers to them.
Please would you be so kind to check them if they are correct?

Q: What is the visible mail name of your system? This will appear on