Re: Win & Potato on LAN

If you are absolutly sure the network settings are correct, and you can
ping 192.168.0.2 from the winblowz machine sounds like could be a
cabling problem or a hub problem. id try swapping the cables around to
see if the problem shows up on the linux box with the cable from the
win* box. if it doesn't im not sure what to suggest other then
installing a small copy of linux on the win* box to see if that works(if
it does at least u know its a software problem)

also check the firewall rules on the linux box, there is a package
called ipmasq which has driven me insane in the past by changing all the
firewall policys to DENY blocking every incoming and outgoing packet to
the system

run ipchains -L

to list the rules

if you see things that say "policy DENY"

then i would suggest running:

ipchains -F (kills the firewall rules)
ipchains -P input ACCEPT
ipchains -P output ACCEPT

that will allow all incoming and outgoing data traffic, it's safe to
leave the forward chain alone for now. see if that helps, if it does i
would reccomend removing the ipmasq package by doing 'dpkg -r ipmasq',
adding masqing abilities to the system is just a couple lines of
commands and that package is overkill(IMO)

nate