Re: Strange things like drwx--S--- with elm...

On Sun, Aug 20, 2000 at 08:41:37PM +0200, Andreas Hetzmannseder wrote:
> Dear debian-user,
>
> After running elm (version elm-me+_2.4pl25ME+65-0.slink.0) for the
> first time yesterday it created the following file in my home directory:
>         drwx--S--- myusername myusername 1024 Aug 19 18:29 Mail/
> which is supposed to be for incoming mail. Please note the capital S.
> Furthermore there was no .elm/elmrc configuration file yesterday, but
> today there were two of them: elmrc and elmrc.old ...
> Now when I try to receive e-mail via fetchmail it opens the elm-display,
> the incoming messages move quickly by - no chance to read them - then it
> says they are "flushed" and it seems that they are gone forever...
> But that's not all: After about a dozen of messages elm asks to create
> a folder with a funny name which seems to be a substring of some part
> of the received mail. This looks like:
>         rom: "Boy George <bg@people.net>
> or similar in my home directory, which is again drwx--S--- ...
> And yet some other weird stuff: I checked my elmrc configuration file
> and found some options being replaced by text which seems to have been
> taken from the mail. I reedited the file, ran fetchmail again, but with
> the same "flushing", with elm asking me to create a "funny" folder and
> with similar "funny" text entries in elmrc.
>
> I would like to know:
> - What does the capital S mean?

Set Group Id for all files put in ~/Mail to match ~/Mail.  This is
normal.

> - How can I configure elm properly? -In the User's Guide it is said to
>   run "Configure" which is presumably a shellscript but I haven't found
>   it anywhere.

Your description of fetchmail opening an elm display does not jibe with
my experience in using fetchmail.  Generally fetchmail polls a POP or
IMAP server for mail and delivers it to the local smtp server.  The mail
should be delivered to /var/mail/<user> if everything is configured
properly.  Do you have a ~/.forward file that may be causing weird
behavior?

--
Copyright © 2000 Megalomania Industries, Inc.