Re: fetchmail gives me headache (was: Strange things like drwx--S--- with elm...)

Morten Liebach wrote:
> [...] I don't have any mda defined in my ~/fetchmailrc,
> delivering to port 25 on localhost is the default.

Does this mean /var/spool/mail/... ?

> My fetchmailrc:
>
> set postmaster "<local_username>"

...OK...

> set bouncemail
> set properties ""

Fetchmail complained about these two options (parse error),
so I disabled them. Bouncemail doesn't even seem to be available in my
fetchmailrc template file. What version of fetchmail do you have?
Mine is 4.6.4-1.1.

> poll <my_pop3_server> with proto POP3
>        user <userid> there with password <very_secret> is <local_username> here warnings 3600
>     antispam 571 550 501 554
> It works very well, and has done so for a year now. :-)

I envy you... :)

Now have a look at my fetchmailrc:
        set postmaster "<local_username>"
        #set bouncemail
        #set properties ""
        poll <my_pop3_server> with proto pop3
        user <userid> there with password <very_secret>
        is <local_username> here
        warnings 3600
        antispam 571 550 501 554

This looks like it should work, don't you think? Instead I always get
an "SMTP Transaction error". It reads the first incoming message for a
few seconds, then it exits with "connection failed" and I tried it over
and over again...

Do I really need 'set bouncemail' and 'set properties ""'?

Let me get the following clear: I am not having X yet, fetchmailconfig
doesn't work for me, so I set up ~/.fetchmailrc by myself.
For the time being all I want is to have mail delivered anywhere, so
I am not even talking about any MUA, be it mutt, elm, mozilla or
whatever. This will be my next big problem ;)

Do you invoke fetchmail via your MUA?

Sorry for my confused asking, but there are just too many problems
all at once. I never thought this would become so complicated...

Thanks in advance,
Andreas