Is Debian the last OS ?

Folks,

How common is the "Debian last" practice, that is, try other
distributions (including non-GNU/Linux) and then come to Debian
to stay?

Within Humbug[1], approximately 2/5 of the membership are now
Debian users; however, only a few went straight to Debian.

For me, Debian is the high point in most respects on a long road.
In my work as a Systems Administrator I have used Solaris, Irix,
Digital Unix, FreeBSD, OpenBSD and GNU/Linux.  Within GNU/Linux,
I've used MCC Interim Release, Yggdrasil, Slakware, Redhat and
Debian.

I still use all the non-GNU/Linux systems at work and they *do*
have advantages, e.g. OpenBSD for security and crypto or Solaris
for some serious 64 processor hardware; however, I believe that
"Debian last" has allowed me to appreciate how good Debian
GNU/Linux really is.

Debian is improving all the time.  Given the nature of the Debian
distribution, I think that it is inevitable that Debian attract
more first-time users.

I believe that Debian will get there without needing to force it
in that direction.  For example, we Debian does auto-detection,
it will be done *right* and this will be one step towards the
"first distro" status.

In any system that novices can use, the challenge is to scale
to expert users.  By aiming at the expert/developer end of the
spectrum, Debian has avoided this very difficult problem.

Yours sincerely,

-- Mark John Suter  | I know that you  believe  you understand
suter@humbug.org.au | what you think I said, but I am not sure
GPG key id F2FEBB36 | you realise that what you  heard  is not
Ph: +61 4 1126 2316 | what I meant.                  anonymous

[1] http://www.humbug.org.au/