Re: Is Debian the last OS ?

Most newcomers to Linux will (understandably) start with a commercial
distribution that they can find shrink wrapped on the shelves. That
pretty much rules Debian out for them, but those who discover it later
on tend to stick with it.

Completely new to Linux/Unix, I started with Redhat 4.1, and then later
Caldera, and didn't get too far with either one. I got them installed
but was pretty much lost after that when it came to configuring them,
installing software etc.. Finally I stumbled across a couple of posts
about Debian that stirred my interest. I just went to the web site,
started reading, downloaded a few files, and soon had the base system
installed - this was the bo distribution.

Contrary to most, I found Debian to be easier to learn. With the others,
the whole system got installed right up front from the CD. But with
Debian, I installed it piece by piece, package by package because I was
downloading it over a modem. Dealing with it in smaller chunks I found
myself leaning how to configure it, catching on to the package system
etc., and soon was hooked for good.

Tom