Re: Alternative to dselect?

Kent West wrote:

> Jeronimo Pellegrini wrote:
>
> > <snip>
>
> > > Wow! I just installed [console-apt] and it looks MUCH nicer than
> > dselect. However,
> > > after marking something for installation, how do you actually tell capt
> > > to install it? Neither the man pages nor the help screen indicated this
> > > (or at least I didn't see it).
> >
> > Er... The help screen says:
> >
> > [-] Functions
> >   [+] c               Complete pending install/removals
> >   [+] Backspace       Complete pending install/removals
> >

> Yeah, I sw that and tried both. Neither did anything. Not a screen flicker,
> not a screen change, not a mark changed anywhere, not a beep, nothing.
>
> I've got version "diety 0.7.7"; maybe you've got a newer version and this is
> a "feature" of my version?

Having said that, just now I installed capt on my office box (as opposed to my home
box), and the "c" does work. I think maybe I wasn't doing something right on my home
box. Just now, when I marked "links" to be installed, I then pressed "c" and another
screen came up, presumably showing me dependencies. OK, fine, so I hit <RETURN>.
Nothing happened, so I pressed "ESC" or "q" (I forget), and went back to the previous
screen. I hit <RETURN>; nothing. I hit "c"; nothing. I hit "q". Dropped out of capt
without anything happening.

So I went back in and remarked "links" for installation, hit "c" which took me to the
dependency screen, hit "c" AGAIN, and then things started happening.

I think console-apt will be a great tool; now that I've gotten past the first
"learning curve", I think I'm going to like it a LOT better than dselect. But then
again, I've only successfully used it once, so time will tell.