Re: no wonder...

On 4/7/2000, 1:41:56 PM, Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote regarding Re: no
wonder...:
> Richard Taylor wrote:

> >  As compared to something like... say... notepad?
> >  What's difficult about selecting things from a menu?

> 1. Nothing's difficult about selecting things from a menu. It's when
those selections
> bring up other screens wanting to add/delete other things, which affect
other things,
> which makes the user want to get out, and none of the keystrokes seem to
work like a
> beginner (not someone who has read the docs and EXPERIENCED the
experience) would
> expect. There's just a host of things that are difficult about deselect
and apt.

 My mileage varies. I find that the program simplifies what can be a
vastly more difficult process... that of tracking dependencies, versions,
file locations, etc, etc... It does it
fairly well and it does it accurately.

 The docs are readily available... the explanations of what, why and so
forth in regards to the files your working with are fairly clear... the
program itself is pretty simple and requires you to use maybe a half
dozen commands in normal use. It does everything for you. If there's any
part of Debian I'd target as being difficult it certainly wouldn't be
dselect. Personally, I think it's one of the best things the
distribution's got going for it.

> There's a host of good about these products also; they're just not
intuitive for the
> non-initiated.

 What could be more intuitive?