Re: no wonder...

Richard Taylor wrote:

> On 4/6/2000, 9:03:41 PM, Oki DZ <okidz@pindad.com> wrote regarding Re:
> no
> > On 5 Apr 2000 pumpkins@dizzy.ee.itb.ac.id wrote:
>
> > > No wonder people say that Debian is the most difficult
> > > Unix-clone distro to install and use...
> > > Another thing, is the dselect program: it is quite
> > > difficult to use...
>
>  As compared to something like... say... notepad?
>
>  What's difficult about selecting things from a menu?

I really shouldn't add to the noise on this thread, but I'm going to anyway.

1. Nothing's difficult about selecting things from a menu. It's when those selections
bring up other screens wanting to add/delete other things, which affect other things,
which makes the user want to get out, and none of the keystrokes seem to work like a
beginner (not someone who has read the docs and EXPERIENCED the experience) would
expect. There's just a host of things that are difficult about deselect and apt.
There's a host of good about these products also; they're just not intuitive for the
non-initiated.

2. Would the list members please stop ragging on newbies just because the newbie
expresses some frustration at not knowing how to accomplish something? It's not that
the question "What's difficult about selecting things from a menu" (and other
questions/comments I've seen on this thread) is a rude question per se, but without
the visual/audio cues that are part of face-to-face communications, the intent behind
some of these questions/comments sound more like "You're an idiot if you can't do
something simple like running dselect."

Sorry if I've come across in an offensive manner; I don't mean to.