Re: installing packages on Mac IIci

On Thu, 6 Apr 2000 15:34:42 -0500, Joshua Holland wrote:

> I'm very new to Debian and Linux.  I got Debian running fine on my
> Mac IIci. I downloaded the Debian base system install files, but I
> don't want to install packages by download (my IIci is not connected
> to net yet and this seems slow anyway).  Will I be able to configure
> Debian to recognize my Apples CD-ROM drive, and will it read the
> available CD's that contain Debian packages?

Hello Joshua,

I hope the following helps:

1. As far as I know (I don't have a Mac IIci) the Apple CD-ROM
drives are SCSI drives (you can check this from MacOS). If so, they
should be accessible as /dev/scd0 under Linux.

2. If you get the CD drive to work, you can also read (almost) every
CD ROM, including Debian CDs.

3. Be aware that usual Debian CD sets contain the binary packages for
only one processor type ("architecture" in debianese), and usual CD
sets (most likely even those that don't specify an architecture at all)
are i386 (vanilla PC compatible). You'll need CDs for the m68k
architecture.

4. If you get stuck with problems specific to (the Debian port to) the
Macintosh, you can also post your questions to the debian-68k mailing
list; that's where the Mac experts are.

Regards,

Bjoern
--