Re: Slink to Potato

On Tue, Oct 05, 1999 at 09:21:18PM -0600, markzimm@rmi.net was heard to state:

> > That was supposed to be the point of my message -- In my experience,
> > upgrading from glibc 2.0 to 2.1 is *trivial*, and needs no special
> > consideration, migration guides, hand-holding sessions, or support
> > groups.
>
> I've got to agree with Miles here. Once I stopped shaking in fear of a
> possible instability, I started doing it one step at a time and I haven't
> had any serious problems. The few problems I did have generally had solutions
> in the mailing list archives and were easily dealt with.
>
> The important thing is: take small steps and test them out before going on.

Okay,

This is one thing that I have been a little unsure about. Is an
incremental update an okay, or practical, thing to do? If I want to
check out something that is only in Potato, I go and use apt-get to grab
and install it. If it uses glibc2.1, it'll get that, and any other libs
that it depends on.

Being `binary compatible', does this mean that all the apps that I don't
update will still work (with maybe some `rare exceptions')? Or do I need
to do a dist-upgrade, and upgrade all of my apps to make sure they will
still work? Over a modem line, it'd prolly take me quite a few nights to
do a full dist-upgrade, and I'm not sure I want to do that at the
moment. When Potato comes out, I can download the ISOs at work and burn
them onto a CD, so I don't have to spend a week downloading.

If it is the case that you can do an incremental upgrade, then I was
obviously wrong that Slink and Potato were incompatible, and I'll
happily retract that statment.

Cheers,

damon

--
Damon Muller (dm-sig6@empire.net.au) /  It's not a sense of humor.
* Criminologist                     /  It's a sense of irony