Re: Slink to Potato

Damon Muller (dm-debian-user@empire.net.au) wrote:

> If I want to
> check out something that is only in Potato, I go and use apt-get to grab
> and install it. If it uses glibc2.1, it'll get that, and any other libs
> that it depends on.

Yup.

> Being `binary compatible', does this mean that all the apps that I don't
> update will still work (with maybe some `rare exceptions')?

Yes.  I have a mostly-slink-but-partly-potato box and it's just fine.

> Or do I need
> to do a dist-upgrade, and upgrade all of my apps to make sure they will
> still work?

I'd recommend against this, due to a few broken packages that are in the
current potato.

--
Greg Wooledge                    | Distributed.NET http://www.distributed.net/
wooledge@kellnet.com             | because a CPU is a terrible thing to waste.