Re: Sun classic

On Tue, Oct 05, 1999 at 07:12:44AM +0700, Oki DZ was heard to state:
> BTW, why would anyone install the Debian on Suns if the machines come
> with
> Solaris right out the boxes? The only reason I'm asking about Debian on
> Sun is that I think it's an interesting alternative since the Classic
> where I have an access to doesn't have Solaris on it (the CDs I mean).

We have a lot of Sun boxen at work of various ages, all running Solaris
on SunOS. The problem with Solaris, according to our mail Sun advocate
at work, is that it's getting pretty bloated, and runs pretty slowly on
many of the older machines. Linux is much more light-weight, and runs
better on some of the older boxen, apparently.

We actually temporarily had RedHat 6.0 on one of the Ultra10s. It seemed
to run really well, and GNOME/E looked awsome on the 19 inch monitor :)

cheers,

damon

--
Damon Muller (dm-sig6@empire.net.au) /  It's not a sense of humor.
* Criminologist                     /  It's a sense of irony