Re: Debian ppp server how-to?

On %M %N, Jens B. Jorgensen wrote
> Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> Hmmm. Weird. I've used pppd with shadow passwords but this was a bo
> system, not hamm. You did say your system has hamm, not bo, right?
> just for kicks maybe you should try hand-entering the user/password
> into /etc/ppp/pap-secrets. Otherwise everything looks good.

Sorry to bother you yet again. Actually shadow passwords are not
enabled on the server. I added myself to pap-secrets by hand and it
still said pap authentication failed!

My pap-secrets file reads

# Every regular user can use PPP and has to use passwords from /etc/passwd
*	yodeller	""
hamish	yodeller	"password"

# UserIDs that cannot use PPP at all. Check your /etc/passwd and add any
# other accounts that should not be able to use pppd!
guest	yodeller	"*"	-
master	yodeller	"*"	-
root	yodeller	"*"	-
support	yodeller	"*"	-
stats	yodeller	"*"	-

# OUTBOUND connections

# Here you should add your userid password to connect to your providers via
# pap. The * means that the password is to be used for ANY host you connect
# to. Thus you do not have to worry about the foreign machine name. Just
# replace password with your password.
# If you have different providers with different passwords then you better
# remove the following line.

yodeller	*	password

It seems to open and read the pap-secrets file ok (I ran it with strace
as you suggested) but still does not work.

Hamish

--
Hamish Moffatt       Mobile: +61 412 011 176       hamish@rising.com.au

Rising Software Australia Pty. Ltd.
Developers of music education software including Auralia & Musition.
31 Elmhurst Road, Blackburn, Victoria Australia, 3130
Phone: +61 3 9894 4788  Fax: +61 3 9894 3362  http://www.rising.com.au/