Re: Debian ppp server how-to?

On Fri, Oct 24, 1997 at 01:10:25AM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 11, 1997 at 05:15:08PM -0500, Jens B. Jorgensen wrote:
> > /AutoPPP/ - - /usr/sbin/pppd auth +pap login modem :Y.Y.Y.Y
> >      where Y.Y.Y.Y is what you want the caller's IP address to be.
>
> I did this. Well, I enabled auth, +pap, login and modem
> in /etc/ppp/options because I have two lines with different IP
> addresses obviously. However when someone tries to authenticate
> with PAP they get access denied. I've included the output
> of syslog for this below with debugging enabled on ppp.
> (I did set up /etc/ppp/options.ttyS0 and .ttyS1 files).
>
> I do have shadow passwords enabled. The changelog
> for ppp (which is 2.2.0f-26 from hamm as of just now,
> previously 2.2.0f-23) indicates shadow passwords are supported.

The plot thickens. When an NT user dials up, pppd says it is
being run by root and that PAP authentication for user x failed.
When I dial up with linux pppd, pppd says it is being
run by user hamish, and that the peer refused to authenticate itself.
My chatscript to dialup just waits for CONNECT then leaves,
allowing pppd to do its stuff. The ppp log says the peer requested
termination. It looks like my end already authenticated itself
to mgetty, and pppd wants it again. The mgetty log still
says "User=/AutoPPP/" though. Weird.

Ideas?

thanks,
Hamish

--
Hamish Moffatt, StudIEAust              hamish@debian.org, hmoffatt@mail.com
Student, computer science & computer systems engineering.    3rd year, RMIT.