Installation problem: unable to open an initial console

Hi all,

Please point me to the location (and forgive me) if this question has
already been asnwered. (I have tried to search the mailing list archive
but apparently it is down.)

My problem is like this:
I recently upgraded from Debian 1.2 to 1.3 and it worked fine. Yesterday
there was a power failure and I try to reboot using the Boot Disk
created during the installation but the system just kept on rebooting
itself. I then use the Rescue Disk and boot using the option

rescue root=/dev/hda5

(I had the / partition on an extended logical partition named hda5.)
and the message "unable to open an initial console" appeared. I then
tried the default boot option in the Rescus Disk and I was able to
mount my previous partitions on the directory /target. However, I cannot
do anything else. (I would like, at least, to save my data files!) There
does not seem to be a hardware problem because I get the virtual
consoles (1 to 4) from the Rescue Disk boot.

I would be grateful for your help.
Regards,

--ST
|  LUK ShunTim                                  |
|  Civil and Structural Engineering Department  |
|  Hong Kong Polytechnic University             |
|  Kowloon                                      |
|  Hong Kong                                    |
|  http://www.cse.polyu.edu.hk/~stluk/          |
|  email: cestluk@polyu.edu.hk                  |
|  phone: (852) 27666064                        |
|  fax:   (852) 23346389                        |