Re: Debian ppp server how-to?

Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 24, 1997 at 01:10:25AM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 11, 1997 at 05:15:08PM -0500, Jens B. Jorgensen wrote:
> > > /AutoPPP/ - - /usr/sbin/pppd auth +pap login modem :Y.Y.Y.Y
> > >      where Y.Y.Y.Y is what you want the caller's IP address to be.
> >
> > I did this. Well, I enabled auth, +pap, login and modem
> > in /etc/ppp/options because I have two lines with different IP
> > addresses obviously. However when someone tries to authenticate
> > with PAP they get access denied. I've included the output
> > of syslog for this below with debugging enabled on ppp.
> > (I did set up /etc/ppp/options.ttyS0 and .ttyS1 files).
> >
> > I do have shadow passwords enabled. The changelog
> > for ppp (which is 2.2.0f-26 from hamm as of just now,
> > previously 2.2.0f-23) indicates shadow passwords are supported.
>
> The plot thickens. When an NT user dials up, pppd says it is
> being run by root and that PAP authentication for user x failed.
> When I dial up with linux pppd, pppd says it is being
> run by user hamish, and that the peer refused to authenticate itself.
> My chatscript to dialup just waits for CONNECT then leaves,
> allowing pppd to do its stuff. The ppp log says the peer requested
> termination. It looks like my end already authenticated itself
> to mgetty, and pppd wants it again. The mgetty log still
> says "User=/AutoPPP/" though. Weird.

Hmmm. Weird. I've used pppd with shadow passwords but this was a bo
system, not hamm. You did say your system has hamm, not bo, right?
just for kicks maybe you should try hand-entering the user/password
into /etc/ppp/pap-secrets. Otherwise everything looks good.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com