Re: Debian ppp server how-to?

Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 23, 1997 at 01:43:38PM -0500, Jens B. Jorgensen wrote:
> > Hmmm. Weird. I've used pppd with shadow passwords but this was a bo
> > system, not hamm. You did say your system has hamm, not bo, right?
> > just for kicks maybe you should try hand-entering the user/password
> > into /etc/ppp/pap-secrets. Otherwise everything looks good.
>
> I am running mostly bo, but I upgraded ldso and added libc6 just
> to run a few things from hamm. I was running ppp 2.2.0f-23 from
> bo but thought it was worth trying 2.2.0f-26 from hamm too.
>
> Will try the pap-secrets thing.

Your config files look good to me. You might want to try 'strace'ing
the pppd process to see if it's actually opening /etc/shadow. Make
sure you have the strace package. Edit your login.config and change
the AutoPPP entry to:

/AutoPPP/ -     -       /usr/bin/strace -o/tmp/pppd.out /usr/sbin/pppd auth +pap login

Then try to dial in to the box. You can check /tmp/pppd.out to see if
it really did open the file and check for the password.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com