Re: X11 bashing

On Fri, 15 Nov 1996, Larry 'Daffy' Daffner wrote:

> -> Have look at the kde project.
> [ Stuff snipped ]
>
> I strongly doubt that KDE has the momentum to succeed. It's based on
> Qt, which is a proprietary standard.  Granted the implementation is
> delivered 'free for noncommercial use', but I don't see that as a
> significant difference.  It's still a proprietary toolkit, which will
> keep the GNU crowd disinterested, as well as making it inappropriate
> for Debian proper.

In contrast to motif Qt is fully C++ OO.
Qt comes with source. Any gpled sw can be distributed with soure or binary
of Qt.
Just building proprietary sw without source.. cost money.
So it is really free and can be well used for gpled sw.

> So, you replace an 'open', well known API with a proprietary
> implementation (and the rapidly developing lesstif) with a
> proprietary, unknown API with an open distribution model.  Not a
> significant win in my eyes.

Motif is outdated and broken in my eyes.
Lesstiff suffers a lot from beeing forced to implement all these crippled
c stuff.
Qt if fully C++

Just my $0.02

Yours,
-- martin

// Martin Konold, Muenzgasse 7, 72070 Tuebingen, Germany  //
// Email: konold@tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de              //
       Linux - because reboots are for hardware upgrades
       -- Edwin Huffstutler <ehuff@sedona.intel.com> --

   Just go ahead and write your own multitasking multiuser os !
                 Worked for me all the times.
                     -- Linus Torvalds --